Ideas on something to prevent snakes from overheating.
RCReptiles.com Forum Index RCReptiles.com
Ball Python Forum (Return to RCReptiles.com)

Ball Pythons for SaleBall Pythons for Sale  Ron's Ball Python BlogRon's Ball Python Blog  FAQFAQ
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages
SearchSearch   RegisterRegister     Log inLog in   WAP enabled and accessible through your wireless cell phone!

Google

Bookmark and Share
Ideas on something to prevent snakes from overheating.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   RCReptiles.com Forum Index -> Ball Python Caging and Enclosures
jpomeroy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Ideas on something to prevent snakes from overheating. Reply with quote

Ok, here is my situation. I live in Yuma, Az where the temps will be in the triple digits for at least 5 months out of the year. Last year when I first moved out here we had a huge power outage which caused
my home to be 120 inside. My blood python appears to have been the only one affected by that heat spike and eventually passed away. All other snakes are doing fine. My question is, does any one have any ideas on how to keep the cool the snakes down to their normal temps if this happens again. I have seen back up plans for keeping snakes warm, but never to cool them down from excessive heat.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not knowing how many snakes you have, I'll just go with the obvious - get your cooling system hooked up to a generator.

You could wrap cool packs, and put them in the tubs; but that isn't a great option, IMO. Battery operated fans just move warm air around.

For a small number of snakes, you could pack them in a styro lined box (with cool packs), and monitor them...changing out the packs as needed until the power is back on.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow sorry I didn't see this thread sooner as I just had this very same issue over the past 6 or so monthe, only we didn't loose power, we just had major heat wave after wave after wave. What I did when I got home if the tank was too hot I of course opened the tank and got Leonard out, gave him some fresh cooler air and if I knew the day was going to be hot I'd put ice cubes in his water dish in the morning so he at least had somewhere to go to escape the heat if he needed to and I was at work or not there. I also unplugged his UTH during any day that was going to be over 80 in my area as I knew he'd stay warm enough (my cage usually stays at least 10 degrees higher than the temp).

tips to keep your BP cool
1) don't use a UTH during the day (and only at night if needed)
2) put ice cubes in the water dish for an extra cool escape place

Ball Pythons in the Wild 2 hour DVD video
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RCReptiles.com Forum Index -> Ball Python Caging and Enclosures All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1