My jungle carpet python won't eat and could die :,(
RCReptiles.com Forum Index RCReptiles.com
Ball Python Forum (Return to RCReptiles.com)

Ball Pythons for SaleBall Pythons for Sale  Ron's Ball Python BlogRon's Ball Python Blog  FAQFAQ
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages
SearchSearch   RegisterRegister     Log inLog in   WAP enabled and accessible through your wireless cell phone!

Google

Bookmark and Share
My jungle carpet python won't eat and could die :,(

Kat Bellamore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: My jungle carpet python won't eat and could die :,( Reply with quote

Bella is an 8 year old full grown jungle carpet python. She is very very sweet and extremely dear to me.
She's been through lot in the past couple of years- eight moves, big and small, she was horribly abused when I had to leave her with a so- called friend (who mysteriously got hit by a truck :P), and this past January she got bitten by a rat on her tail and it never healed up right.
She hasn't eaten anything I've offered her since she was bitten. Her wound got infected when she went to the bathroom in a spot that I couldn't see and she left her tail in the mess.
I got her to the vet as quickly as I could and they amputated her tail and force fed her, but she puked most of it back up :( I also have shots to give her for the infection, which is clearing up.
Does anyone have any idea how to feed a starving, stressed out, sick snake????

Oh, please don't tell me about pre killed food; that's what I had been giving her for a long time, but she quit eating that and went for live...until she was bitten....that also happened the day that my grandfather- whom I had been caregiving for most of my life- had a heart attack and we had to step it up into hospice care.
So please, don't be harsh on me. I was doing the best I could and trying to do things the way she preferred them.
If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't unusual for a sick snake not to eat. Continue to treat the infection, then let her shed. Double check her temps at that time, carpets don't need to be as hot as some other snakes, and high temperatures can sometimes impact their feeding drive (or make the regurgitate).
When you do offer food again, go small - scrap the rats unless you have access to weanlings, and go with a single mouse. After a couple weeks of that, you can go to small rats, then progress to whatever size she was eating before.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice Smile
I went a few minutes ago and took her out of the cage and saw that she was trying to shed off the spots where her skin was infected and the vet had had to lance. It came off easily and the scales beneath are soft and red looking where they had been swollen. I think if I hadn't helped her, the infection would have gotten much worse. I treated the spots that were hurt and then held her for a bit, which seemed to help, too.
I turned the heat rock off so the sensetive spots won't get burned.
Right now there are fuzzy rats in her cage; she actually cuddles them at night cause they are warm. When I handled her I took one and rubbed it around her mouth so the scent would be there and whet her appetite. They stay under her heat rock since it's up off the floor- to disperse the heat so it won't burn her- so I don't think they are really bothering her and that's the only place warm enough to keep them going.
If I have to freeze them, I know how to get her to eat from something I found on here earlier. Bella should make it, but I won't forgive myself for a long time if she doesn't.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take them out.
She should be left alone as much as possible until she is healed - that means nothing nudging her, and you not messing with her except for direct care. Besides, fuzzy rats won't survive until she is ready to eat them, unless you have a nursing mother (in which case, they should be with her)...all they'll do is urinate and defecate in her enclosure, increasing her risk of worsening infection.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I saw that so I took them out and put them in the freezer...I figured it was faster and more humane than starving to death.
Yesterday, I actually used herbs to help Bella and she seems to be doing a lot better.
Plantain leaves, lemon balm, thyme, and rosemary.
the leaves make a good poultice when soaked in the cleansing antibacterial anti-inflammatory solution that's also anti-toxic because of the plantain leaves in the infusion.
I made it all, waited for it to cool down, and put it right on her wounds with some aloe vera for good measure.
I did continue the treatment with Baytril and the pink spots that were just beginning to show up on her belly are clearing up.
She's active when I handle her and she seems to be getting stronger.
Now if she'll eat...that will be the biggest factor in getting her healed up.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when should i attempt to feed her next? she got messed with a lot yesterday, so probably not today.

Ball Pythons in the Wild 2 hour DVD video
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RCReptiles.com Forum Index -> Other Reptiles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1