cracked eye cap?
RCReptiles.com Forum Index RCReptiles.com
Ball Python Forum (Return to RCReptiles.com)

Ball Pythons for SaleBall Pythons for Sale  Ron's Ball Python BlogRon's Ball Python Blog  FAQFAQ
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages
SearchSearch   RegisterRegister     Log inLog in   WAP enabled and accessible through your wireless cell phone!

Google

Bookmark and Share
cracked eye cap?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   RCReptiles.com Forum Index -> What's Wrong with my Ball Python?
Graham412

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: cracked eye cap? Reply with quote

hello everybody, it has been a while since my last post but here it goes. Well my 2 year old female bp has not eaten for about 2 months. She has what it looks like to be a "crack" or line on her eyeball. It goes vertically all the way from top to bottom. She had it before but after a shed it went away. (this shed was about 2 months ago and she hasnt shed since) But about a week later it appeared again. Do you think that after one more shed it will be gone? She is looking thin and I'm starting to get worried. Also, before her last feeding, she went another 2 months without eating. I suspect that to be becuase of her winter fasting. She did it the last 2 winters I have had her so I wasnt too worried about her. Lastly, her humidity isnt always perfect. It ranges anywhere from 30% to 65%. Is her lack of humidity causing this "crack" on her eye?

Should I raise the humidity to about 70% and start soaking her to get her to shed?
Help would be greatly appreciated

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: cracked eye cap? Reply with quote

Graham412 wrote:
It ranges anywhere from 30% to 65%. Is her lack of humidity causing this "crack" on her eye?
30% to 65% is a wide range?
I've had one that came in with a cracked looking eye, that has had it go away being in good humidity and heat.

Graham412 wrote:
Should I raise the humidity to about 70% and start soaking her to get her to shed?
Help would be greatly appreciated
The question is, how would you raise it if it goes down to 30%?
Assuming the snake is in a tank, you might consider a humid hide.
Misting is a temporary answer, and generally within an hour or two the humidity drops back to room level.(In glass tanks)
A humid hide, left in full time will allow the snake to get the humidity it seeks, and should help the snake shed better.

Soaking is ok, warm water, not hot, 75-80 is good.

Lately I've kept about 60-65 percent humidity full time, and my snakes sheds come off a bit wet generally, not soaking wet, but quite soft.

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a detailed photo of the eye so we can make sure it's not actually cracked but indeed dehydrated?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will try a humid hide and soaking her. And sorry Ron, I dont own a digital camera. Actually, I just tried feeding her a mouce last monday and she ate, so Im assuming her winter fast is over. Thanks for the help guys Smile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Graham, here's an old pic for reference. Does it look anything like this? When I first got Axl it didn't take long for this 'crack' to appear. So I got the humidity buttoned down with some tank improvements, and after he shed I haven't seen it again.

Ball Pythons in the Wild 2 hour DVD video
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RCReptiles.com Forum Index -> What's Wrong with my Ball Python? All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1