Which is a better pet, male or female BP?
RCReptiles.com Forum Index RCReptiles.com
Ball Python Forum (Return to RCReptiles.com)

Ball Pythons for SaleBall Pythons for Sale  Ron's Ball Python BlogRon's Ball Python Blog  FAQFAQ
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages
SearchSearch   RegisterRegister     Log inLog in   WAP enabled and accessible through your wireless cell phone!

Google

Bookmark and Share
Which is a better pet, male or female BP?

redhitman512

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Which is a better pet, male or female BP? Reply with quote

I am considering purchasing a ball python and would like to know if it is better to go for a male or female. Is one more tame than the other? I know that females tend to grow larger than males. Any advice would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Which is a better pet, male or female BP? Reply with quote

redhitman512 wrote:
I am considering purchasing a ball python and would like to know if it is better to go for a male or female. Is one more tame than the other? I know that females tend to grow larger than males. Any advice would be appreciated.

While I haven't raised many Ball Pythons, the few I have raised Males were always my best eaters.

I've never noticed a tamer sex, as I have never had an aggresive Ball Python (all though I think they would be kinda fun to be honest I mean for me I deal with big aggresive tics, a ball with a tude would be cool)

Females do get bigger Smile, they are more valuable and typically cost a bit more.

Finally, get one from a breeder, a good breeder will be there with you to help you out, answer questions, you should get a good eater Wink. Talk to Ron, I'm sure if your looking at getting a Ball Python he could get you set up with one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i currently have 4 females and 3 males with 1 more male and 2 females on the way. there is no difference between sex but each animal has its own personality and act differently. if you end up owning more than one ( which i think you will) you will notice this. if you are looking at buying a baby then the price difference is not that great between a male and female normal. as said above female are worth more and most state their weight in gold because with breeding they are the egg barriers. if you are looking to have a pet only and not interested in breeding then a male will be fine. if you look to breed them later on then a female would also be a good choice since there is a weight and age restraint on them for breeding ( 2+ years and 1300+ grams)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i havent been around for a while but going by your question i can personally say that i have raised baby bps and have notice that fm bps are not as nasty when the time of the moth comes around but all snakes are different i just got the odd balls... hoped this helped in anyway... ttyl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three females and four males. My most nervous one is a female, yet my calmest one is also a female. The males and females in between are all about the same. So I don't think gender has anything to do with temperament.

So like the others said, think about how big you want it to get, and whether or not you'd like to try to breed someday. When I got into bp's, I had no intention whatsoever of breeding. I didn't even want to have more than one snake. But they're like Pringles, you can't stop at one...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, this was the one subject about BP's I couldnt find any info about on the web. I will definitely be purchasing a snake from rcreptiles soon and see if I decide to stop at just one or two.

lezgo ballin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Which is a better pet, male or female BP? Reply with quote

Deedle wrote:

I've never noticed a tamer sex, as I have never had an aggresive Ball Python (all though I think they would be kinda fun to be honest I mean for me I deal with big aggresive tics, a ball with a tude would be cool)

ive got the perfect ball for you then. she is just plain mean. even renamed here to jaaku, which means wicked in japanese lol. will try to tag you every time, numerous times. i always break into my best aussie accent when i deal w/ her. CRIKEY!!!

Malika13

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work with both sexes at my volunteer job at the zoo. I personally prefer the female. She's more active and bold but that's her personality. The male is ... flinchy and shy. It really has to do with handling and individual personality.

Ball Pythons in the Wild 2 hour DVD video
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RCReptiles.com Forum Index -> Ball Pythons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1