DIY Rat Racks
RCReptiles.com Forum Index RCReptiles.com
Ball Python Forum (Return to RCReptiles.com)

Ball Pythons for SaleBall Pythons for Sale  Ron's Ball Python BlogRon's Ball Python Blog  FAQFAQ
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages
SearchSearch   RegisterRegister     Log inLog in   WAP enabled and accessible through your wireless cell phone!

Google

Bookmark and Share
DIY Rat Racks

Post new topic   Reply to topic   RCReptiles.com Forum Index -> Do-it-Yourself Projects
lngviewbplover

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: DIY Rat Racks Reply with quote

Well the DIY in me broke down and built the rat racks. MAN!! why didnt I do this sooner? (kicks self in the butt) I only put in 4 tubs for now, but still have the materials left to add the other 2 slots later. Total cost to build it for 4 tubs(thats cuz thats all I bought) was 65 bucks. So add 10 more bucks for 2 more tub(which I will add later) so grand total 75 bucks. Bear in mind I have not built or added the water system yet, mainly cuz I have the rats in a spare room in my house, with carpet under it( I dont need an accidental flood) so for my piece of mind( what little I have left) Im still using water bottles. With the few rats I have its still feasable and doable for me to use the water bottles. Now once my colony grows I will go to a different method of watering them, I dont wanna have to fill several bottles every cpl of days. I will post some pics when I get some taken in the next cpl of days.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a cpl of pics:

Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so do you keep this in your living room? hows that smell?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesnt smell to bad, I keep them full of vanilla water and lots of aspen for bedding. Mostly I smell the aspen. Right now they are in my computer room. Once I get done getting my shop out back ready it will become my reptile/rat house. Its got a/c and heat its 14x21 feet plenty of room for future breeder snakes and rats. Its a portable building I keep all of my remote control planes in and all the gear that goes with it. Im in the process of moving things around in it and making room for everything else.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice set up! Do you, like me, find that it's SO tall? In the future I will stop waist high. I don't use the upper racks... my basement ceiling is low.

Mine also have a water system, and somehting for you to be aware of: You need a pressure regulator, it's not mentioned in the directions, and I found out the hard way. Mad

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might just be the angle of the photo but the tub 2nd from the top appears to have a large gap near the right-hand corner. They can chew the lip of the tub and make an escape. Just keep an eye on that area if there is such a gap.

lngviewbplover

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonCrawford wrote:
It might just be the angle of the photo but the tub 2nd from the top appears to have a large gap near the right-hand corner. They can chew the lip of the tub and make an escape. Just keep an eye on that area if there is such a gap.

There is a small gap there but nothing there for them to sink teeth into. They barely can stick the tip of there nose in it. It is kind funny to see 5 nose tips there sniffing for food as I bring to them to eat lol

lngviewbplover

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deborahbroadus wrote:
Nice set up! Do you, like me, find that it's SO tall? In the future I will stop waist high. I don't use the upper racks... my basement ceiling is low.

Mine also have a water system, and somehting for you to be aware of: You need a pressure regulator, it's not mentioned in the directions, and I found out the hard way. Mad

For now Im using water bottles, easier to maintian right now, and with carpet under them I dont need a flood. I will use the upper tub, Im picking up more rats today and thats where they will go. Being close to 6 foot tall the top rack aint an issue for me.

deborahbroadus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lngviewbplover wrote:
RonCrawford wrote:

There is a small gap there but nothing there for them to sink teeth into. They barely can stick the tip of there nose in it. It is kind funny to see 5 nose tips there sniffing for food as I bring to them to eat lol

Ummm yes they can, doesn't matter if it is smooth..posting a pic soon.

deborahbroadus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deborahbroadus wrote:
lngviewbplover wrote:
RonCrawford wrote:

Ummm yes they can, doesn't matter if it is smooth..posting a pic soon.

Note the smooth sides? Nothing for them to grab hold of (this was done by a new batch, not an established colony) they still managed. BUT..thanks RON..although I did discount your concern..I watched. Cool No one got out, they were too fat! Laughing Laughing

LongviewSnakeLdy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lngviewbplover wrote:
Being close to 6 foot tall the top rack aint an issue for me.

Sure... laugh it up that you're taller than me and I can't see into the top rack... One of these days I'll catch up and you'll be sorry mister!

deborahbroadus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LongviewSnakeLdy wrote:
lngviewbplover wrote:
Being close to 6 foot tall the top rack aint an issue for me.

Sure... laugh it up that you're taller than me and I can't see into the top rack... One of these days I'll catch up and you'll be sorry mister!

Very Happy Laughing

Ball Pythons in the Wild 2 hour DVD video
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RCReptiles.com Forum Index -> Do-it-Yourself Projects All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1