new ball python
RCReptiles.com Forum Index RCReptiles.com
Ball Python Forum (Return to RCReptiles.com)

Ball Pythons for SaleBall Pythons for Sale  Ron's Ball Python BlogRon's Ball Python Blog  FAQFAQ
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages
SearchSearch   RegisterRegister     Log inLog in   WAP enabled and accessible through your wireless cell phone!

Google

Bookmark and Share
new ball python

jeffyoung5521

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: new ball python Reply with quote

i bought a new ball python last week, on thursday i fed her and today sunday i noticed that her rectum was outside of her body. is this common or is this snake ill.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: new ball python Reply with quote

jeffyoung5521 wrote:
i bought a new ball python last week, on thursday i fed her and today sunday i noticed that her rectum was outside of her body. is this common or is this snake ill.

It is not common. If it has been out for a while, the snake is ill and needs to see a vet immediately. If you have just purchased the snake, I would attempt to return her.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More Information:

Lizards are used as an example, but the same thing is applicatible to Balls.

Pictures are displayed here: http://www.anapsid.org/prolapse.html

A prolapse is the eversion of tissue into an area where it should not be. In iguanas (and reptiles in general), three types of prolapse may be occur that can be seen by the owner. They are potentially very serious, and if they do not correct themselves within a very short period of time, the iguana must be seen by a reptile vet.

Reptiles are like birds in that they have a single chamber into which feces and urates are deposited before being voided. Through this same chamber passes sperm, and eggs (or live babies, in viviparous species, hatchlings in ovoviviparous species) in the female. This chamber, the cloaca, is found just inside the vent (which is properly called venter). The paired male iguana reproductive organ, called the hemipenes, is kept tucked into the tail, pointed towards the tip of the tail. When the hemipene is everted, it, too, passes through the cloaca to the vent.

In the normal course of defecation, the male hemipenes may be everted, that is, will be forced out of the vent. They will revert back (be pulled back in by the muscles) into their normal position within a few moments. During breeding season, males will frequently evert their hemipenes in conjunction with depositing some seminal material, especially when being greeted by their female owner,. As with eversion during defecation, the hemipenes will rapidly retract into the tail.

If the iguana is constipated, either due to dehydration, impaction due to a foreign object, or from being heavily parasitized, the strain of trying to defecate may result in either a section of the colon or cloacal tissue, or one or both hemipenes, being everted through the vent. Severe parasite infestation and dystocia may also result in prolapsed tissue. In severe cases, or if the animal is already weakened by the underlying condition, he or she may not be able to retract the tissue. If left outside the body, it may become contaminated with feces, urates, or food, or other matter, and will start to dry out. If not cleaned and replaced, the tissue will die and require amputation.

You can try soaking the iguana in a cool bath to which sugar has been added. Heavy concentrations of sugar in the water will act to draw out the fluids engorging the swollen everted tissue; this may reduce it enough to be inverted by the lizard. The tissue may be rinsed with fresh water and Betadine, and carefully pushed back in with a gloved finger lubricated with KY Jelly (the type without the spermicde). Extreme care must be taken in doing this as, if the colon contains fecal matter and the colon tissue is pierced in the attempt to replace it, severe, even fatal contamination and injury may result. If the soaking does not work within an hour, and you do not wish to attempt manual replacement, the iguana should be placed on a damp towel and taken to the vet as quickly as possible.

Some lizards may repeatedly prolapse. In these instances, you must take your iguana to the veterinarian. If the prolapse is a hemipene, it may safely be amputated. If only one is amputated, the lizard may still be able to breed. Suturing may be required to try to prevent the colon or cloacal tissue from prolapsing again. If it does continue to happen, however, surgery may be necessary to suture the colon to the wall of the coelomic cavity. Cloacal pexy (fixation, i.e, suturing in place) or oviduct removal may also be recommended in these cases.

I hope this helped. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Hello,

Let us know how she is doing!!
That cannot feel very good at all. If you have any loose substrates in the tank, change it out to paper towels so no dirt or anything gets on the raw skin.
Do you know of a good vet around? I hope she is going to be alright.

Tracie

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you provide more information on the animal (age, weight, etc)?

I know a gentleman in Puerto Rico that had a similar experience. His baby ball python pushed its rectum out after defecating. The vet pushed it back in and applied a stitch to the vent to help keep it inside. He applied medicine on the area and after two weeks it came back out again. The vet felt the stomache and noticed a hardened matter near the cloaca opening. He pushed and moved the matter out through the cloaca and discovered a hardened piece of fecal matter as the culprit. The rectum is back inside the snake where it belongs and it's doing much better now.

His vet instructed him to apply mineral oil on the food item before offering it to the snake. The oil helps with lubricating the digestive tract.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ron for the clear pictures! Now we all are prepared if it should ever happen to any of us! Smile

TAZMOM

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info.

PyMama

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Thanks for the pic....Im a visual learner so this is helps understand and picture what it should look like. I dont want to see that in my snake.
Are they ways one to avoid such thing?

deborahbroadus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are ways to avoid it.

One of the ways is to keep the correct temps. When it is cool, the snakes retain their matter to hold in body heat, and this allows the waste to "cook" in the intestines making it harder to pass.

jeffyoung5521

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: more info on ball with the prolapsed rectum Reply with quote

She weighs 225 grams, and aprox. 59 cm. I took her back to the pet store, and they pushed her rectum back in. I left her for about 2 or 3 weeks for monitoring. In that time she did not eat well for them, but her rectum stayed in place. I brought her back home and have been having success feeding her rat pups for the past 2 to 3 weeks. This past week she did not eat because she was shedding. Yesterday she shed, and then prolapsed her rectum again. Right now I have her wrapped in a warm, wet towel.
I had origionally bought her because I wanted to try amature breeding and liked her color. Now I am doubting if she will be breedable.

deborahbroadus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: more info on ball with the prolapsed rectum Reply with quote

jeffyoung5521 wrote:
She weighs 225 grams, and aprox. 59 cm. I took her back to the pet store, and they pushed her rectum back in. I left her for about 2 or 3 weeks for monitoring. In that time she did not eat well for them, but her rectum stayed in place. I brought her back home and have been having success feeding her rat pups for the past 2 to 3 weeks. This past week she did not eat because she was shedding. Yesterday she shed, and then prolapsed her rectum again. Right now I have her wrapped in a warm, wet towel.
I had origionally bought her because I wanted to try amature breeding and liked her color. Now I am doubting if she will be breedable.

I would definitely return her, if you aren't attached. Crying or Very sad

Drache613

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Hello,

Oh that poor snake, I am so sorry. What are you going to do?

Tracie

Ball Pythons in the Wild 2 hour DVD video
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RCReptiles.com Forum Index -> Ball Pythons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1